Monday, January 21, 2008

From Shakedown to Maiden Voyage



Murphy's Law: Things will go wrong in any given situation if given a chance....

Well the weather has not cooperated. We did a shakedown sail of the boat two weeks ago. Everything went well, except the weather has gone downhill since then. Gone are our sunny 80 degree light wind days replaced with very windy weather. You would think wind would be our best friend but it has to be the "right" wind.

So Shakedown was sans camera. I forgot to bring it. Like me forgetting I had the P&S with me when my dad and I were in the DAL simulators.... Doug, the manager at the marina put her in the water for us, we loaded the kicker on her and off we went...It took us about 40 minutes (against the wind) to go about 2.5 miles through the channel out into the gulf. The kicker is by no means a powerhouse... but it is light and I should be able to mount it by myself. I do believe I had a smile on my face the entire sail. Cap'n Steve was a gentleman the entire trip, even as he was raising the jib and I screwed up and got us out of "irons" which meant he raised the jib while the wind was blowing it against him... not a fun exercise.. but hey - at least he didn't go for a swim... I worry about his center of gravity...anyway - raising the jib will most likely be my responsibility in the not too distant future if I don't tick off the Cap'n and he continues to allow me to sail with him..after all this is HIS boat.... So tomorrow looks good for the maiden voyage...We went to the marina today to check on GWII as we had a nasty storm here Saturday night and everything looks good.. so without further ado.. Here she is..
Yes, I have 'shopped her name on.. we are going to be "trying on" some fonts over the next few weeks to see what works best.. What do you think? Cap'n Steve is thinking maybe drop the Hudson, FL. - I don't know - it's like advertising RedneckVille, Fl...

No comments:

Post a Comment